This module gives an overview on Singapore geology, soil and rock behaviour, site investigation and evaluation of field and laboratory test results. It covers the major geological formations in Singapore and the corresponding soil and rock characteristics. It also introduces the basic principles in rock mechanics and their applications to rock slopes and tunnels.
In soil behaviour, the response to shear and compression and the determination of strength and stiffness parameters for different types of soils will be covered. Participants will also learn about the site investigation process which includes detail planning on borehole numbers and locations, the penetration depth, soil and rock sampling and testing as well as the assessments on the reliability of field and laboratory test results.
What You’ll Learn
- Appreciate the importance of understanding the geological composition of Singapore and its impact on design and construction.
- Apply the basic principles of rock mechanics to solve simple problems involving rock slope, mined tunnel and rock cavern.
Effect of External Pressure
- Appreciate the importance of understanding how soil behaves when subjected to external pressure and its impact on design and construction.
- Prepare a site investigation plan to determine the subsurface soil and rock conditions and the corresponding engineering design parameters.
- Assess the reliability of field and laboratory test results .
Who Should Attend
- Civil Engineers, Site Engineers, Field Engineers, Project Engineers
- Construction Managers
SITizens Learning Credits (SLC) - Eligible Course
This course is SITizens Learning Credits (SLC) eligible. Please refer to the user guide
how to register for courses utilising your SLC.
Find out more about SITizens Learning Credits (SLC)
Certificate and Assessment
A Certificate of Participation will be issued to participants who:
- Attend 75% of the course
- Undertake non-credit bearing assessment (during course)
A Certificate of Attainment for each module will be issued to participants who:
- Attend at least 75% of each respective module; and
- Participants who pass the Continuous Assessment and final examination with with a GPA of 2.5 or more.
- Candidate should possess a bachelor degree in Civil Engineering
Frequently Asked Questions
- What is the prerequisite knowledge for the course?
Students should be familiar with basic design rules from Eurocodes.
- Is any software required for the software?
Any analysis software used will be provided as part of the course.
|Week (Every Wednesdays, 7pm to 10pm)
||Geology of Singapore
|2 - 4
||Introduction to Rock Mechanics
|5 - 6, 8 - 9
||Soil Behaviour & Engineering Soil Properties
|10 - 13
In the event a course date falls on a public holiday, the trainer will make alternative arrangements in consultation with the students.
Course Fee: $3,540.69 (Inclusive of GST)
Please note that GST reflected above will be revised to 8% GST if payment is received by SIT on or after 1 January 2023. The company or trainee may be liable for an additional GST amount.
SIT reserves the right to make changes to published course information, including dates, times, venues, fees and instructors without prior notice.
Modular Certification Courses - Civil Engineering
These modules are stackable towards a Postgraduate Certificate in Civil Engineering or can be taken individually as a single module as follows:
- CVE6001 Structural Stability and Dynamics
- CVE6002 Design of Steel and Composite Structures
- CVE6003 Design of Tall Buildings*
- CVE6004 Advanced Material Technology
- CVE6005 Design of Reinforced and Precast Concrete Structures*
- CVE6006 Advanced Geotechnical Engineering
- CVE6007 Shallow and Deep Foundation*
- CVE6008 Numerical Modelling in Geotechnics*
- CVE6009 Deep Excavation and Tunnelling*
- CVE6010 Land Reclamation and Ground Improvement
*Modules subsidised by SkillsFuture Singapore.
Each module carries ECTS 6 credits. Candidates who pass any 4 modules (totalling 24 credits) with a CGPA of 2.5 or more will be awarded the Postgraduate Certificate in Civil Engineering by SIT. Collectively, they can be taken as the Masters of Science in Civil Engineering.