Fundamentals of geology
- Geology of Singapore
- Identification and classification of rocks and soil
- Mineralogy for igneous and sedimentary rocks
Rock and soil mechanics
- Rock mechanics fundamentals; rock material properties; shear strengths and failure criteria; rock mass properties; Geological Strength Index (GSI); global strength of rock mass.
- Soil mechanics fundamentals: Stress-paths, Stress-dilatancy, soil strength.
Rock mass classification
- Rock mass classification; rock mass and rock material; primary factors in rock mechanics and rock engineering; mapping and description of rock joints and discontinuities; Rock Quality Designation; effects of ground water; in-situ stress; Rock Mass Rating (RMR); Rock Mass Quality (Q)
Site investigation and ground characterisation
- Geological/geotechnical investigation methods; geophysical methods; in-situ and laboratory testing; Standards and codes of practice; Development of ground model; Predictive geology using site investigation information.
- Characteristics of various soils/rocks in Singapore; few case histories to illustrate how they affect tunnel construction; measures to deal with such material characteristics.
Segmental lining design
- General Arrangement
- Structural Design for both permanent and temporary loading
Steel Fibre Reinforced Concrete Segments
Cast in situ permanent lining design
- Design of supports for reinforcements cage in mined tunnels
- Design review of systematic formworks for mined tunnels
Sprayed concrete lining design
- Sprayed concrete lining design including SFR shotcrete
- Face stability
- Waterproofing design (membrane type and spray membrane type)
- Face pressure calculations for Mechanized Tunnelling
Review of design using numerical methods
- Finite element method fundamentals
- Lining analyses
- Stability and serviceability